Friday, April 13, 2012

Pass on the Love

Big sisters playing with little sister.
People who put people down are in themselves insecure. You cannot give to others what you do not have inside of yourself. Yesterday, Samantha (my 11 year-old) came home from a birthday party thoroughly happy and exhausted. I got to hear all about it. She said, “Her mom is the most creative mom! That was the best party ever!”

I heard, “Her mom is more creative than you.” Of course, that’s not what she said, but one of my main love languages is praise or “Word’s of Affirmation” from Gary Chapman’s The Five Love Languages. I feel validated when I’m praised. I work harder when I’m praised. You get my drift.

So, how did I respond? I was happy for Samantha. I was also happy for the mom’s gift of creativity. This morning I sent the mother, who is also my friend, a text message thanking her, telling her what a great time Samantha had and letting her know that my daughter thinks she’s the most creative mom. I got a thankful text back, which makes me even happier. I don’t have the “Most Creative Mom” title, but I don’t feel less of a mother because of it. We all need our moments to shine. When you see someone else shining, let him or her know. Pass on the love. Be thankful for what you do have.

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena