Monday, June 25, 2012

Nicknames

My brother and I, Western Cape, South Africa

Do you have a nickname? Do you use nicknames in your home?

I associated nicknames from family members as a form of endearment, but I grew up in a home where nicknames were not really used. On a few occasions I wished I had one, other than Tina, which is short for Christina. When I was a teenager, my brother called me Peanut Brittle. He did this for a couple of weeks.

For me, hearing a cute nickname from him was a big deal. When we lived under the same roof, my brother was hardly ever civil toward me (this is litotes – an understatement). I knew that I should never tell him that I liked it, but I’m an encourager. One day, against my better judgment, I bubbled over and told him it was a neat nickname. Well, I never heard it again, at least not while we lived in the same house.

Christina, Western Cape, South Africa

It’s funny how things work out, because I married an only child whose mother had several nicknames for her son. This was hard for me, as I felt that he was dearer than I, but now I know that she didn't intend it that way. My husband carries on the tradition and makes up names for lots of things. When Jeremiah was a baby and had a stinky diaper, my husband called it a pongo. Two of his nicknames for Amanda have been Amanda the Panda and Tookie Bear.

Do you use nicknames in your home, and if so, do they have a special meaning behind them? I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply.

My husband and brother enjoying a simple picnic after touring some of the 
wine estates, Western Cape, South Africa. I took this awesome photo.

Please check out my photography blog 1camera1mom where I give tips on editing photos and making great memories.

P.S. My brother and I were reconciled years ago.

6 comments:

  1. My Mom and dad use Nicknames, but I find myself using them only when the children are little. I guest the names never stuck with me, though I wish they had:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I think when the kids get older, they don't want to be babied. :)

      Jeremiah was my Monkey Man, because he loved to climb and never stopped moving around and his other nickname was my Mighty Man.

      Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  2. Amanda the Panda is a little doll. How lucky you are. When I was little, one of my brothers called me "Pete" to tease me about a neighbor boy I had a crush on.... He started calling me Pete when I was about 6 and it lasted into my teen years. I just stopped by from SITS to say hello; hope you find time to return the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva! I'm now following your blog. I see that you like humor. I'm not sure what you like to read from other bloggers, because I have other blogs that might interest you more. You can check them out if you have time. They are listed on My Other Links, which is written kinda small on the right-hand side of this blog. Oh, I do have humor on this blog, just type in "funny" on the search and they'll pop up.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the following! Following you back! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading more from you. I also hope you will feel up-lifted with every visit here.

      Take care!

      Delete

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena