Thursday, June 13, 2013

Make My Saturday Sweet - Blog Hop #41

"The hardest part about my day is..."

...washing those dishes that can’t go in the dishwasher and organizing the papers that end up on the kitchen counter. I hate seeing things in a mess, but I would much rather be blogging.

I never enjoyed cleaning. Ever.

The kids have different chores and they keep the same jobs unless they decide to swap (with our permission). This means that there is less organizing happening from our side and less squabbling from theirs.

Samantha, Jessica and Jeremiah in 2005

For several years, it was one of Jeremiah’s jobs to wash the pots and pans after dinner. Recently, he swapped this task with his sister, Jessica. That means that I only have a few items that I need to wash every day like lunch boxes and water bottles that belong to Amanda and me. (I have a part-time job and a volunteer job, hence the lunch boxes and water bottles.) The big kids have to do their own. So, if that’s the hardest part of my day, then I guess I don’t have much to complain about.

I also have a maid that comes once a week for half a day. She’s wonderful! I guess my life is pretty good.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t have challenges. I’ve been snubbed by white Afrikaans women at times. Then there are other Afrikaans women who are just too scared to talk in English, which I totally understand. I also understand some Afrikaans, so it’s not a big deal to me, but they are unwilling to meet me half way. 

Of course, most South Africans, no matter their race or culture, are usually friendly. However, they tend to stick to their own friends and family. That means my hubby and I don’t have too many adult friends that hang-out with us. I’m sure apartheid is part to blame, but so are the Boer Wars.

Because I have a need to connect with people, I blog.

Our kids have fared much better. When they have birthday parties, it’s like having a mini United Nations get-together and the kids all get along.

What is the hardest part about your day? Link up your own post at Finish the Sentence Friday or leave a comment below.




Friendship Friday - "Quotes"


All these quotes are my own
unless otherwise stated. All
the photographs are also my own.
I have a "pin it" button on my
right hand sidebar if you would
like to pin any of these to
your own Pinterest boards.












Now on to my blog hop...


Amanda’s Books and More


It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!


If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to link them on my Blog Hops page!


I would love for you to follow me on


Follow on Bloglovin


Leave me a comment with your link and I will follow back!

Here are the easy rules:

  • Follow Tina (your host) @ Amanda's Books and More.
  • Link up your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your most recent post or on your side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit at least the last two blogs before your link and leave a comment.
  • Follow any new blogs that you like.


Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More


This is a blog hop!

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena